Monday, November 21, 2016

day73: stand up for diversity

It is time for parents to teach 
young people early on 
that in diversity there is beauty and 
there is strength. 

Maya Angelou

In case I have not made myself clear as a parent ...
'there is beauty and there is strength' in DIVERSITY!!
I have said this before and I am going to say it again, 
embrace diversity.
This message is even more critical with the new 
political landscape of our country and the world, 
diversity is under attack.  
Now more than ever before parents, teachers, mentors, peers, need to stand up and protect diversity. This means being extra aware of language and actions that might belittle or threaten others.

In the days since the election I have been reading the wise words of Martin Luther King, Jr.  So many of his quotes apply to our current state of affairs, yet this quote now breaks my heart.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
This is my dream too, that no child will be judged by gender, skin color, religious beliefs and/or sexual preference. On election day we took a major step backwards from this goal, the election results have validated some seriously bad behavior and rhetoric which MUST be stopped.

We need to be vigilant that all people are treated with dignity and respect.

love, mom

if you have received this post as an email
click below to visit the entire blog, blog link
or click below to visit FB daily dress inspiration group FB link

No comments:

Post a Comment

always love to hear what is on your mind . . . peace