Sunday, April 7, 2019

May this dress encourage us to do that which hasn't been done!


Today, two of my world's are colliding; 
my #femininewordsofwisdom and my #100dayproject.

 In the world of social media, starting in April there is a 'challenge' called the #100dayproject. It is open to anyone who wants to participate, and all one needs to do is to set a project for themselves to do for 100 days straight and then do it.  Part of the challenge is posting each day's creation on social media, creating accountability. 

The array of #100dayprojects is spectacular and inspiring.  One year I did #100daysofvirginiacreates and this year I had planned to present 100 days of patterns, however, 
today that changes. 

In March, on this blog,  I featured quotes by women, #femininewordsofwisdom, in honor of  Women's History Month, during which I found so many wonderful quotes and interesting women that I planned to continue.  

I feel very strongly that works and words of and by women need to be celebrated and shared.  As anyone who follows this blog knows, I am a quote-junkie. I am constantly on the lookout for quotes; unique quotes, new quotes, profound quotes, and different quotes. 

 I have also accrued a healthy collection of books of quotes.  And as I venture through these landscapes of quotes I am painfully aware of the dearth of quotes by women.  This trend is changing in the past few years but there is a lot more work that needs to be done.  

So I am changing my #100dayproject to #100daysofwomenwonders where I will share women's quotes, achievements, and accomplishments, with a variety of artistic additions - be it a dress?!? an illustration?!? a pattern or two or maybe a hand-lettered quote, 
time will tell.  

And as I have been doing with the past #femininewordsofwisdom posts, I plan to put at least one or two links to biographical information about the day's featured woman.  

So I am following the advice of Toni Morrison and creating a 'book' (blog) full of the women wonders, celebrating the well-known women and the not so well known women.  It is a book that I wish I had read when I was a little girl and one that I want my daughters to be able to read.

So let the fun begin ...

below is a short bio and links to read more:
Toni Morrison

Morrison grew up in the American Midwest in a family that possessed an intense love of and appreciation for black culture. Storytelling, songs, and folktales were a deeply formative part of her childhood. She attended Howard University (B.A., 1953) and Cornell University (M.A., 1955). After teaching at Texas Southern University for two years, she taught at Howard from 1957 to 1964. In 1965 Morrison became a fiction editor at Random House, where she worked for a number of years. In 1984 she began teaching writing at the State University of New York at Albany, which she left in 1989 to join the faculty of Princeton University; she retired in 2006.

If there is a book that you want to read, 
but it hasn't been written yet, 
you must be the one to write it. 
Toni Morrison


if you have received this post as an email
click below to visit the entire blog, blog link

No comments:

Post a Comment

always love to hear what is on your mind . . . peace