Tuesday, October 3, 2017

cultivate an attitude of gratitude ...

use this sticker to remind yourself to be grateful
Yesterday I went to a meditation class and the teacher announced that in light of recent tragic events that she was going to lead us in a gratitude meditation.  
It was a good class.
There are numerous studies and articles about the transformative power of gratitude.  Below is a link to a wonderful article from www.huffingtonpost.com called The Transformative Power of Gratitude, by Dr. Randy Kamen.   The article speaks to the power of being thankful, listing the benefits of gratitude, suggesting some strategies and exercises to help one cultivate a grateful attitude, and even offers a gratitude meditation.  

a possible 'gratitude journal'
I have personally experienced the power of gratitude and consciously practice being thankful every day, especially when things are hard and it would be easy to spiral into anger and despair. 
A few years back I heard the amazing Louise Hay talk about thanking the universe when anything good, big or small,  happens.  She continued with this example, 'if you gave another person many gifts but that other person never ever said thank you, then you might not be so excited about giving that person anymore gifts?!' That made a lot of sense to me.  She then said, 'why not say thank you to the Universe, or to Mother Nature, or to God or the Goddess or whatever larger power that you believe in?!' For me that idea resonated and since hearing her theory, I thank the universe constantly, throughout the day.
When I find my keys ... "thank you universe"; when I get the 'walk' sign when I am in a hurry to get to work .... "thank you universe"; when I have a moment to sit on my front step and watch the setting sun ... "thank you universe"; when my girls are both under my roof,

safe and sound for the night ....
"THANK YOU UNIVERSE"
Of course when you are having a bad day, or you are involved in a natural disaster or violent act, to think about being thankful may seem like a sick joke, and I am not saying it is easy, at all.  But I have come to the conclusion that it does not hurt me to be thankful.  Even when it seems absolutely impossible to believe that there is anything for me to be grateful for, something happens when I just start to consider being grateful, there is a ever-so-slight inner shift, and I find something small or everyday that I am thankful for and I seem to stop that negative spiral.  


One gratitude exercise that the article recommends is keeping a gratitude journal.

    some 'gratitude' swag ...
  • Keep your gratitude journal by your bedside and each night list 3-5 positive experiences from the day. Elaborate on one of these ideas.
  • I believe you have heard me mention a gratitude journal, once or twice?!? I have been suggesting that your Grandmother Gommie start one :) Again, I have experienced a lot of benefits from keeping a gratitude journal. There is something reassuring about ending the day thinking about some of the good things that had happened during the day.

I appreciate that this all may sound a little too 'mom crazy' for you two, however it can not hurt to try being thankful.  
And I speak from experience, you will lose nothing and you will gain so much
 when you cultivate an attitude of gratitude.

love, mom
p.s.  In case you didn't know, 
I am so so so grateful, beyond words grateful, for you two, 
my two amazing daughters!! xxxx


p.s.s. and if you are hankering for some 'gratitude' swag ...
you can find this journal, t-shirt and other fun products 
(displaying Meister Eckhart's wise words) 

if you have received this post as an email
click below to visit the entire blog, blog link
or click below to join the book of motherlove group on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookofmotherlove/

No comments:

Post a Comment

always love to hear what is on your mind . . . peace