Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Day 3: bird by bird

'bird by bird' acrylic on wood
Thirty years ago my older brother, who was ten years old at the time, was trying to get a report written on birds that he'd had three months to write, which was due the next day. We were out at our family cabin in Bolinas, and he was at the kitchen table close to tears, surrounded by binder paper and pencils and unopened books about birds, immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead. Then my father sat down beside him put his arm around my brother's shoulder, and said, "Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird.Anne LamottBird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

This is the quote that has been bubbling up to the surface since I deposited you in Newark.  This quote/concept is a main touchstone for me, "bird by bird", the only way to do anything.
And I believe I need to share this quote today for both you and me!!!

Here you are starting this grand new adventure, so much to see, to learn, to do, to join and to experience and that can be so overwhelming!!! As well as being responsible for your self care, laundry, meals and time management ... Again overwhelming!!!! 

And for me, I need to tackle my long 'to-do' list that I have ignored while helping to get you to Delaware!!, happily ignored, mind you!!!  Also, I find myself in a whirl of confusion about how to parcel all the thoughts and desires I want to share with you in this project?!? so much to say ... 

In fact, at this time of the year, most people are struggling with the transition from a summer schedule to a more rigid schedule, so this is a good quote for all.  

Remember to take EVERYTHING one bird at a time! 
If you are feeling overwhelmed by a task, break it down into more manageable pieces.  If those pieces are still overwhelming, break each piece down into smaller pieces.  
Do it conscientiously, deliberately, not just think in your mind that you have broken it down (I speak from experience). 

Make a list of the smaller steps, give yourself a reward when you have finished a certain number of smaller steps, try to focus on the task at hand and not think about the larger project.   
This might sounds cliche but it does work.  
It takes practice, I know that from experience, and it is good to remind yourself daily, again I speak from experience, but it is a tried and true approach which I wanted to share with you today.



ALSO!!! you must read Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird!!! I find myself reading it at least once a year!!! 

Love ya, Mom 

No comments:

Post a Comment

always love to hear what is on your mind . . . peace