Sunday, July 22, 2018

The wonders of being weird!!



illustration by virginia fitzgerald. © 2018

the adventures of Joey - made by a Potato Hill poetry writer
There's a whole category of people who miss out by not allowing themselves to be weird enough. 
Alain De Botton
Once again I had the pleasure of spending a morning with some very creative kids at Potato Hill Poetry's Summer Writing Program. This week we created a comic/graphic novel using thumbprint art. I have posted all the amazing pieces on my other blog, http://virginiafitzgerald.blogspot.com, and I high;y suggest that you visit as the variety and storytelling of these comics are outstanding!

However, during our creating session, the general conversation moved to the topic of weird came up and I was saddened by the group's response to the idea of being weird. They saw weird as more of a negative while I see weird as something to celebrate. We discussed being weird for a bit, and I might have gotten a few of them to see the wonders of being weird, however, their response gave me pause.

I truly do believe that our unique weirdness should be embraced and celebrated because that is what makes us our own person and is the one of a kind gift we can give the world!! However, weirdness is something that much of our everyday lives tries to squash, through advertising, marketing, and peer pressure.  
So to combat those social pressures, I want to preach the wonders of being weird!
Today find your weird and let it shine!!
love, mom

p.s.





if you have received this post as an email
click below to visit the entire blog, blog link
or click below to join the book of motherlove group on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookofmotherlove/
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

always love to hear what is on your mind . . . peace