Friday, December 6, 2013

May this dress help us find our own freedoms . . .

This dresstag was left in the Alps, by my dear friend and author,
Martha Calderaro and her family.
 I choose this picture today for two reasons;
it is an international dresstag which felt appropiate for this man
who championed world peace.  Also looking at this image
I can feel the cool, rushing mountain air,  breezing through the fresh hung laundry
and lifting up this little dresstag, conveying to me the true sensations of freedom.
“As I walked out the door
toward the gate that would 
lead to my freedom, 
I knew if 
I didn't leave 
my bitterness and hatred behind, 
I'd still be in prison.” 

I came across these words while reading some Nelson Mandela's amazing quotes last night.  
He left us with a profusion of profound and inspiring words, making it was difficult to choose which quotes to use for yesterday's post.  

I didn't choose this quote, yet since reading it, the words have been burrowing into my heart and soul.  

I realize that we all have our prisons; physical, emotional, literal or metaphoric,
 and in many ways we hold the key to our own freedom.  

But for whatever reason, we hold onto the bitterness and resentment, 
 retelling ourselves the stories of the injustices that we have suffered. 

Since I began this daily dress practice I have become an inspiring quote junkie, scouring book, blogs and websites.  Many of these quotes speak to the idea that we have the key to our happiness, to our sense of peace and to own our well-being.  

So as the late night hours turned to dawn and sleep eluded me, 
I realized that I am holding myself in my own prison.  
And as the gray clouds lighten as the sun rose behind them,
I heard Mandela's words in my heart and 
made an intention to let my bitterness go, 
release the stories of wrongdoings 
and to be free!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

always love to hear what is on your mind . . . peace